Manchester United have made their first effort to bring Raphael Varane to Old Trafford this summer.
According to Manchester Evening News, United have made a £50 million offer for the defender, but Real Madrid have demanded £80m to sanction his exit.
Varane has long been a target for the Red Devils, who tried to sign him in 2011 and 2018.
Bringing an elite defender like the Frenchman will help Ole Gunnar Solskjaer sort out the team’s issues at the back.
Victor Lindelof looks short on confidence in some games but will be a reasonable back-up to Varane and Harry Maguire.
Ruben Dias’ arrival at Manchester City has shown how a single player can transform a team.
Varane possesses an abundance of experience of fighting for titles that would help United mount a serious title challenge next term.
He has just one more year left on his deal with Madrid and their valuation appears excessive.
However, given that Sergio Ramos is leaving the club, Madrid will not be keen on losing Varane in the same transfer window.
This would leave them with Nacho Fernandez and Eder Militao as the only established centre-backs in their squad.
David Alaba has joined the Spanish giants from Bayern Munich but it is still unsure if he will feature in defence or midfield next season.
- Manchester United needs to accelerate their transfer plans or forget top-four
- Marko Arnautovic’s agent speaks out on potential Manchester United switch
- Man Utd suffer transfer blow with Fabian Ruiz set to join PSG
- Man Utd make opening bid for Marko Arnautovic
- Manchester United 1-2 Brighton & Hove Albion: Three talking points as Erik ten Hag suffers defeat in Premier League debut
- Player Ratings: Manchester United 1-2 Brighton & Hove Albion
- Harry Maguire insists that players will fight for the badge
- Erik ten Hag identifies Fabian Ruiz as the perfect Frenkie de Jong alternative for Manchester United
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Brighton – Three debutants, Ronaldo starts
- Opinion: Manchester United should forget Frenkie de Jong and sign these two unbelievable players for price of one