Manchester United are reportedly ‘still interested’ in signing midfielder Marcel Sabitzer, despite Bayern Munich setting a €25 million asking price.
According to Sky Sport Germany, the Red Devils are considering making his loan move permanent this summer.
However, they have been unable to move things forward due to the uncertainty surrounding the club’s ownership.
The Austrian has netted three goals and one assist in 18 appearances since joining United on loan during the January transfer window.
United should switch their attention elsewhere
While Sabitzer has been a reasonable stop-gap signing for United, they should resist the temptation to sign him permanently.
The 29-year-old represents little value at a potential €25m asking price, particularly as he would have no resale value.
United already have plenty of ‘average’ midfielders in their squad – what they need are players who are genuine difference-makers.
Sabitzer does not fall into that category, but Bayern teammate Ryan Gravenberch undoubtedly does.
Although United would need to spend more than €25m to secure his services, the 20-year-old has the potential to be a star for the club.
His time in Germany has not gone to plan, and the opportunity to reunite with former Ajax manager Erik ten Hag could be hugely appealing to him.
Bayern are within their rights to demand whatever they want for Sabitzer, but United should not entertain any thoughts of negotiating a deal for him.
- Man Utd suffer transfer blow as Joshua Zirkzee wants to stay in Serie A
- Man Utd set to battle it out with Tottenham to land Bayer Leverkusen star Odion Kossounou
- Jeremie Frimpong is the most serious target for Man Utd, impressed by his performances
- Ratcliffe outlines three-year plan to knock Man City and Liverpool off their perch
- Manchester United left-back Luke Shaw set to miss the rest of the season
- Is Ashford’s United Arrival Now Simply A Matter Of Time?
- Wayne Rooney identifies Manchester United’s biggest issue right now
- Manchester United invite Gary Neville to help regenerate Old Trafford and surrounding area
- Manchester United’s FA Cup chances – can Hojlund fire the Red Devils to a trophy this season?
- Jadon Sancho struggles in Dortmund’s Champions League draw against PSV