Manchester United are reportedly ‘still interested’ in signing midfielder Marcel Sabitzer, despite Bayern Munich setting a €25 million asking price.
According to Sky Sport Germany, the Red Devils are considering making his loan move permanent this summer.
However, they have been unable to move things forward due to the uncertainty surrounding the club’s ownership.
The Austrian has netted three goals and one assist in 18 appearances since joining United on loan during the January transfer window.
United should switch their attention elsewhere
While Sabitzer has been a reasonable stop-gap signing for United, they should resist the temptation to sign him permanently.
The 29-year-old represents little value at a potential €25m asking price, particularly as he would have no resale value.
United already have plenty of ‘average’ midfielders in their squad – what they need are players who are genuine difference-makers.
Sabitzer does not fall into that category, but Bayern teammate Ryan Gravenberch undoubtedly does.
Although United would need to spend more than €25m to secure his services, the 20-year-old has the potential to be a star for the club.
His time in Germany has not gone to plan, and the opportunity to reunite with former Ajax manager Erik ten Hag could be hugely appealing to him.
Bayern are within their rights to demand whatever they want for Sabitzer, but United should not entertain any thoughts of negotiating a deal for him.
- Kim Min-jae remains Man Utd’s top centre-back target, verbal offer already made
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea ready to snub Saudi Pro League offer for Old Trafford stay
- Man Utd target Benjamin Pavard allowed to leave Bayern immediately, price tag revealed
- AS Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi one step away from joining Manchester United
- Manchester United want €20m for Anthony Elanga as RB Leipzig open talks
- Tottenham and West Ham offered chance to sign Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Sheikh Jassim submits fifth bid for Manchester United
- Man United monitoring Ligue 1 if they fail to land Min-jae with Maguire due to discuss his future with Ten Hag next week
- ‘Very soon’: Man Utd could move forward with bid for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Napoli star Kim Min-jae already home with suitcases ‘ready to go to Man Utd’