Manchester United have extended Kobbie Mainoo’s stay at Old Trafford by handing him a new long-term contract.
He expressed his delight on Instagram by writing: “Amazing few weeks for me and my family. Really pleased to sign a long-term contract with this special club.
“Continuing to work hard and taking everything step by step.”
The teenager was rewarded with his first-team debut this season when he started against Charlton Athletic in the Carabao Cup.
Impressed with his performance, Erik ten Hag allowed Mainoo to feature against Reading in the FA Cup.
He is yet to make his Premier League debut but that doesn’t seem too far away, considering he has been named on the bench six times already.
Man United have not yet confirmed the length of his contract extension, but a new deal clearly shows that the 17-year-old has made an impression on the Dutch manager.
The young starlet has previously featured for United’s under-18 and under-21 sides.
His talent has been recognised not only at the club level but also at the international stage, having represented England for the under-18 side.
During the pre-season, everyone thought Zidane Iqbal to be the midfielder who will break through under Ten Hag.
However, if we go by the recent team selections, it looks like the manager considers Mainoo to be ahead of Iqbal.
Ten Hag is in the middle of a significant midfield conundrum. Scott McTominay, Donny van de Beek and Christian Eriksen are out injured.
Casemiro is also not available for two more games due to suspension. Marcel Sabitzer and Fred are the only two central midfielders available.
On that basis, Mainoo may be given a chance from the bench to make his English top-flight bow soon.
Man United are due to face Leeds United on Sunday at Elland Road.
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books