Manchester United midfielder Scott McTominay has snubbed his former teammate and Red Devils legend Cristiano Ronaldo when picking who he thinks is the greatest of all time (GOAT).
The Portuguese is widely considered as the GOAT, especially by Man United fans. However, while McTominay has been a United supporter since joining their academy in 2002, he insists that Lionel Messi is the best player ever, picking him ahead of Ronaldo when asked by Goal who the GOAT is.
McTominay also had an interesting choice when asked who his best friend was, picking Red Devils goalkeeper Tom Heaton.
Man United fans are likely to be shocked that the Scotland international chose Messi ahead of Ronaldo, but it goes to show how honest and straightforward the 27-year-old can be.
Ronaldo is undoubtedly one of the greatest players the game has ever seen, but it appears that his former teammate is not sentimental when it comes to making some decisions.
Alejandro Garnacho will likely disagree with McTominay despite being an Argentine and an international teammate with Messi.
The Man United forward has never hidden who he thinks is the GOAT, often celebrating like Ronaldo and wearing his branded shorts when playing for the Red Devils.
The GOAT debate is not ending anytime soon despite the departure of both players from Europe.
The 38-year-old Ronaldo is currently with Saudi Pro League club Al-Nassr and he ended last year with 54 goals – more than any player across the world.
Messi has been impressing since moving to Major League Soccer club Inter Miami last June after failing to settle down at Paris Saint-Germain.
The 36-year-old picked up his eighth Ballon d’Or last October having won the 2022 World Cup, and it appears that helped convince McTominay to name him the GOAT ahead of Ronaldo.
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow