Manchester United should be going all out to sign Leicester City midfielder Youri Tielemans on a free transfer next summer.
Erik ten Hag needs to make four signings to transform United into genuine challengers for honours on all fronts next season – a goalkeeper, centre-back, striker and central midfielder.
The centre midfielder preferably needs to be a ‘number 8’ – someone who can dovetail perfectly with the more defensive-minded Casemiro in the middle of the park.
Ten Hag’s problem is that having spent so heavily last summer, he may not have an endless pile of cash in 2023. As a result, he may have to be thrifty in his player recruitment.
With that in mind, there won’t be too many better central midfield options than Tielemans.
Manchester United must sign Youri Tielemans on a free transfer
The technically brilliant 25-year-old would take United’s game to a new level.
Tielemans is a creative central midfielder with an exceptional range of passing. He is energetic and has proven to be very well-suited to the English game. He has bagged 28 goals and 25 assists in 180 games for Leicester.
The former Anderlecht and Monaco ace’s intelligence and awareness of space and his teammates’ runs would drastically improve United’s attacking play. The Belgian has been described as an ‘incredible’ player by Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers (the Independent).
Tielemans could float around in between Casemiro and Bruno Fernandes as part of a midfield three for United. No side in world football would want to come up against that trio.
The 25-year-old is at an age where he still has at least five years of football left at the highest level.
Signing the Belgium international on a free transfer next summer should be an absolute no-brainer for Ten Hag.
However, there may be a lot of competition for his signature. So the smarter play may well be to sign him for a nominal fee in the January transfer window.
However, whether the Dutchman makes a move for the Foxes ace remains to be seen.
Stats via Transfermarkt.
- Man Utd need to pay €100m to sign Eintracht Frankfurt striker Randal Kolo Muani
- Where do Manchester United Under 18s stand in the league table after their latest game?
- Loan Watch: Debuts for Bernard and McNeill, Mejbri bags assist
- Man Utd without six players for Leeds clash after triple injury blow
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest