Manchester United signing Borussia Dortmund attacker Marco Reus on a free transfer in the summer would make zero sense.
Back in 2015, then-United boss Louis van Gaal was linked with a £60 million move to sign Reus from Dortmund (ESPN) but refused to pay the Bundesliga outfit’s asking price.
And now the Daily Mail are claiming that United are one of the clubs chasing the 48-capped Germany international’s signature ahead of the summer transfer window.
Erik ten Hag’s main priority in the summer will be to sign a world-class centre-forward. The additions of a right-back and a goalkeeper are also needed, but aside from that, United are pretty much covered.
With that in mind, a move to sign the 33-year-old really would be a strange one.
Manchester United signing Marco Reus would make no sense
The Dortmund attacker is well past his best, and let’s not forget how injury prone he has been throughout his career. Since the start of the 2016/17 season, Reus has missed an incredible 965 days of action for Dortmund.
The real worry is that one of his spells on the sidelines was down to a ruptured cruciate ligament. That is an incredibly difficult injury to come back from.
And given his age, moving to the Premier League from the Bundesliga would be an almost impossible task. It’s also worth noting that he will be 34 before the summer.
There is just no need for the German at Old Trafford. He plays as a number 10 or on either wing, and United are very well covered in all of those positions.
In the wide areas and attacking midfield department, Ten Hag has Bruno Fernandes, Marcus Rashford, Antony, Alejandro Garnacho, Jadon Sancho and Anthony Elanga at his disposal.
There would be no place for Marco Reus at Manchester United. He will make a good signing for someone on a free transfer, but United don’t need him.
Reus is not a bad footballer. His career record speaks volumes, with 156 goals and 118 assists to his name in 368 games for Dortmund.
He has been a fine player throughout his career, but Ten Hag should be looking elsewhere in the summer.
Stats via Transfermarkt.
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest
- Could Kobbie Mainoo make his league debut for Manchester United in the absence of star midfielders?
- Man Utd’s transfer priority is clear after fresh Anthony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd handed early Europa League boost with two key Barcelona stars injured
- Erik ten Hag has easy midfield decision vs Leeds United with four players out