Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag would be making a huge mistake by signing Lautaro Martinez either in January or the summer.
According to reports from Manchester Evening News and Sempre Inter, Ten Hag is keen to bring the 25-year-old Inter Milan hitman to Old Trafford.
The Dutchman desperately needs to sign a top-class striker as he looks to build a side capable of winning the Premier League title again for the first time since 2013.
There are plenty of big-name centre-forwards out there who would be perfect for United, including Juventus ace Dusan Vlahovic and RB Salzburg starlet Benjamin Sesko.
Inter’s Martinez is another name who many believe might be a good fit at United, and with Inter demanding £88 million (Sempre Inter), he certainly won’t come cheap.
However, Ten Hag could, and should, be aiming a lot higher than the 46-capped Argentina international.
Manchester United should avoid Lautaro Martinez move
The South American forward is a good striker, but he’s certainly not elite. And why should Ten Hag settle for anything less than the absolute best? If they do, they certainly won’t be challenging Manchester City again anytime soon.
The Inter hitman has bagged 82 goals in 202 games for Inter since moving to the club in 2018. That’s not a bad return but it’s nowhere near as good as the goalscoring records of the likes of Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema, Erling Braut Haaland, Kylian Mbappe and Robert Lewandowski.
Some may say that’s an unfair comparison, but why is it? United should be aiming for the very best strikers in world football, not second-rate forwards who have flopped on the world’s biggest stage.
The 2022 World Cup in Qatar was one to forget for Martinez from a personal perspective, despite his country’s ultimate success. The Inter striker failed to score in six games for Argentina and lost his place to Manchester City’s Julian Alvarez in the end.
Martinez’s shocking tournament culminated with an absolutely awful substitute appearance in the final against France. He missed two great chances to finish the game off in the dying minutes of extra time.
The Argentinian forward seems to lack any kind of pace and is cumbersome and slow when in possession. He has been a decent finisher throughout the years, but in big pressure situations he undoubtedly struggles.
United should avoid a move to sign Lautaro Martinez. Ten Hag would be making a big mistake by bringing him to Old Trafford.
Stats via Transfermarkt.
Read also: Marcus Rashford stunned by player Ten Hag reportedly wants to sell.
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd goalkeeper Tom Heaton confirms he is out for a few weeks with an ankle injury
- Man Utd could lose Alejandro Garnacho to international duty in late May
- Bruno Fernandes wins Manchester United’s Player of the Month award for March