It’s been almost five years since Manchester United re-signed Paul Pogba by splashing the then-world record transfer fee of €105 million.
However, we still don’t know if we have seen the best of him.
For half a decade, no one has been able to figure out the best position for the French superstar.
Jose Mourinho and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer initially deployed him in a two-man midfield but the 28-year old failed to provide the required defensive cover at the back.
His lack of discipline to make tackles and keep track of his man have forced the Norweigan to use Fred and Scott McTominay in the middle.
Since the turn of the year, the manager has been starting him in the left-wing spot.
This has forced Marcus Rashford to switch to either the number nine role or the right flank.
The 23-year old forward is United’s talisman and switching him is not a great idea.
Pogba’s performances for France have been simply outstanding. The main reason behind this is the presence of N’Golo Kante who is one of the finest holding midfielders in the world.
Neither Fred or McTominay offers that solidarity and composure in the centre of the park to compensate for Pogba’s defensive shortcomings.
If Red Devils want to bring the best out of the Frenchman, they need to enter the transfer market to sign an out-and-out defensive midfielder.
West Ham United’s Declan Rice looks to be the perfect fit for this role. Even at the age of 22, he is a great reader of the game.
He provides stability to the team and allows forward players to attack with freedom.
If Pogba is partnered with Rice in the midfield, United’s defence will look more secure. This will also allow Rashford to start from his favoured left-flank.
Rice is West Ham’s most prized asset and they won’t allow him to leave cheaply.
However, if spending big on one player helps Solskjaer to get the most out of his other key players, he should do so.
- Tactical Analysis: What Ralf Rangnick’s Manchester United could look like
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Man Utd vs Arsenal
- Man Utd fans praise Fred’s midfield performance in Chelsea draw
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Chelsea vs Man Utd
- Man Utd could be without seven players for Chelsea clash
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Chelsea
- ‘Carrick’s at the wheel’: Jamie Carragher aims dig at Rio Ferdinand after Man Utd beat Villarreal
- Man Utd fans hail David de Gea’s performance vs Villarreal
- Michael Carrick delivers verdict on Manchester United’s win over Villarreal
- Man Utd could be without five players for Villarreal clash