Manchester United will announce their decision on the future of Mason Greenwood in the next two weeks, reports the Daily Mail.
The Red Devils have been conducting an internal investigation since the English striker had charges of attempted rape and assault against him dropped by the Crown Prosecution Service in February.
Man United suspended Greenwood in January 2022 after his arrest, and he has been unable to play for the club and train with his teammates at Carrington since then.
The 21-year-old has two years left on his contract, with the option of another 12 months, and the Red Devils want to quickly resolve his future before the new season begins.
They can choose to terminate his deal, sell or loan him out, or reintegrate him into the squad.
However, it is widely believed that Greenwood’s chances of ever playing for Man United again are very slim despite seeing the charges against him dropped.
A decision over his future is now imminent, and it will be intriguing to see what the club’s conclusion is.
Man United appear to have moved on and are already close to securing a deal for Atalanta striker Rasmus Hojlund.
Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial can also play the number nine role, and Greenwood could struggle to break into the team if he returns.
He has missed 18 months of training and was not involved in the pre-season preparations, and it could take months before he gets up to speed once he returns to action.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin