Manchester United are set to battle Liverpool to sign Saul Niguez from Atletico Madrid, according to the Daily Mail.
The 26-year-old was reportedly close to joining Barcelona in a swap deal involving Antoine Griezmann.
However, the potential deal has run into difficulties and the Premier League duo could swoop.
The Spain international is an academy graduate of Atletico who progressed through the ranks to make 227 La Liga appearances for the club.
He has also earned 19 caps for the Spain national side, scoring three goals.
Saul is a top midfielder who could be a valuable addition for any club. He is known for his tackling, aerial dominance and concentration.
During his time with the Spanish club, he has won a La Liga title, two Europa League trophies and a Copa del Rey.
However, United already have several players in his position, including Scott McTominay, Fred, Donny van de Beek and Paul Pogba.
But Pogba’s future at Old Trafford is uncertain and he could move elsewhere this summer.
If the Frenchman leaves, then signing the Atletico star would be a very smart move.
- Marko Arnautovic’s agent speaks out on potential Manchester United switch
- Man Utd suffer transfer blow with Fabian Ruiz set to join PSG
- Man Utd make opening bid for Marko Arnautovic
- Manchester United 1-2 Brighton & Hove Albion: Three talking points as Erik ten Hag suffers defeat in Premier League debut
- Player Ratings: Manchester United 1-2 Brighton & Hove Albion
- Harry Maguire insists that players will fight for the badge
- Erik ten Hag identifies Fabian Ruiz as the perfect Frenkie de Jong alternative for Manchester United
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Brighton – Three debutants, Ronaldo starts
- Opinion: Manchester United should forget Frenkie de Jong and sign these two unbelievable players for price of one
- Report: ‘Dazzling’ Benjamin Sesko knows Manchester United want him but PSG blow is last thing Erik ten Hag needs