Manchester United will reportedly hold discussions with Shanghai Shenhua in order to extend the temporary contract of Odion Ighalo for another 30 days.
The Nigeria international made the move to Old Trafford on a four-month loan on January 31 and he has since proved a quality signing for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side.
Ighalo has barely featured in the Premier League where he has acted as the back-up striker to Anthony Martial but he has made it count in the Cup competitions with four goals and one assist from just three starts.
According to Sky Sports News, Ighalo’s loan deal with United expires on May 31 but the club will seek to prolong his stay until June 30 amid the ongoing shutdown due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Ighalo appeared a gamble signing for United during the final hour of the January transfer window, given he had previously played in England with Watford nearly three years ago.
However, the 30-year-old has emerged as a quality performer in the injury absence of Marcus Rashford and he has impressed with his hold-up play and keen eye for goal.
United have the option to sign Ighalo on a permanent basis following his temporary deal but for that, they would need to finalise a suitable fee with Shenhua in the summer.
It has previously been reported that Shenhua may demand as much as £15m for the Super Eagles ace.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin