Manchester United now face an even bigger problem if they want to sign talented Ajax youngster Antony this summer.
Fabrizio Romano has suggested that the Dutch club could now demand as much as €95m (£82m) for the attacker this summer. And that could well be curtains for United’s pursuit of the Brazilian star.
The highly-respected Italian journalist was speaking to GiveMeSport and made it clear that whilst United definitely want to sign Antony, Ajax could demand a truly extortionate fee:
“They are interested but not at Ajax’s conditions as of now. So they know Ajax are asking for more than €80m, €80m guaranteed plus add-ons to arrive to maybe 85, 90, 95, so it’s definitely not an easy one. It’s definitely not an easy one.”
Antony is a sensational young player. That is a serious amount of cash to be spending on someone who is unproven in the Premier League though.
It could be argued that United shouldn’t be spending anywhere near £82m for Antony though.
Manchester United will have to spend huge money if they want Antony
However, it seems as though it will take a lot more than that for United to sign the South American.
Romano’s latest claim suggests United will have to spend some serious cash if they want to bring Antony to Old Trafford this summer.
If United do pay £82m, he would become the club’s second biggest signing of all time behind Paul Pogba.
Antony would be a stunning capture for United, albeit a slightly overpriced one in our view.
The Ajax winger is one of the most exciting young talents on the planet right now. Described as a ‘real deal young Ronaldo’ by Eurosport, Antony is a truly exceptional young player.
Scintillating young player
Antony bagged 12 goals and 10 assists in 33 games for Ajax last season. The previous campaign he chalked up 10 goals and 10 assists in 46 games. Those are impressive numbers for someone so young.
He can play on either wing, is exceptionally fast and possesses incredible technique. Antony’s play is quintessentially Brazilian in the sense that he plays with an abundance of flair and creativity and always tries to excite the crowd.
Manchester Evening News have described him as a ‘scintillating’ player. He clearly has so much talent and his potential is frightening.
However, we would be hugely surprised if United are prepared to pay £82m to sign Antony this summer.
- Opinion: Glazers’ £17 million Adrien Rabiot transfer disaster-class highlights everything wrong at Manchester United
- Manchester United offered a chance to sign Alvaro Morata
- Manchester United pull out of Marko Arnautovic deal
- Man Utd register interest in Cody Gakpo, player keen on transfer
- Wes Brown impressed by Lisandro Martínez’s Manchester United debut
- Rio Ferdinand urges Man Utd to re-sign Danny Welbeck as back-up striker
- Manchester United now have great chance to sign ‘incredible’ Dan-Axel Zagadou for absolutely nothing
- Man Utd can sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic for £50m this summer
- Manchester United handed another transfer blow as Benjamin Sesko’s future is decided
- Man Utd identify Guido Rodriguez as alternative to Adrien Rabiot