Manchester United right-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka is considering the opportunity to represent the Democratic Republic of the Congo at the Africa Cup of Nations next year, according to The Athletic journalist David Ornstein.
The English-born full-back has been approached by the African country but is yet to make a decision.
However, playing at such a major tournament and representing Les Leopards is appealing having not been called up by England in recent months.
The Man United defender would be unavailable for selection for parts of the early weeks of 2024 if he accepts the invitation from DR Congo.
The AFCON runs from January 13 to February 11, and the Central African country have been drawn in Group F alongside Zambia, Morocco and Tanzania.
Wan-Bissaka was called up by England for the 2020 European Championship qualifiers against Kosovo and Bulgaria in September 2019, but he was forced to withdraw from the squad due to a back injury.
The 25-year-old is not in contention to make the squad for Euro 2024 and could be tempted to play for DR Congo having made a single appearance for the country’s Under-20 side in 2015.
Wan-Bissaka represented England Under-20 and Under-21, making it to the 2019 European Under-21 Championship, but he is yet to appear for the senior side and could now be tempted to go where he is wanted.
He has made eight appearances for the Red Devils this term, and being without him for a couple of weeks would be a blow, with players expected to report for preparations for AFCON early in January.
Man United could also be without Cameroon international goalkeeper Andre Onana and Morocco international midfielder Sofyan Amrabat during that period, leaving manager Erik ten Hag with some crucial decisions to make ahead of the January transfer window.
- Gleison Bremer shows why Man Utd want to sign him this summer
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow