Manchester United have confirmed provisional squad numbers for the 2016-17 Premier League season on Thursday.
The Red Devils completed three signings so far this summer and that includes the likes of Eric Bailly, Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Zlatan Ibrahimovic. The recently retired Swedish international has so far been the high profile signing of the summer for the 20-time English champions.
Ibrahimovic was wearing No 10 at his former club Paris Saint-Germain. However, at Old Trafford, club captain Wayne Rooney wears that number and that forced the former Juventus and Barcelona striker to settle for No 9, which was worn by Anthony Martial in the last season.
The France international will be wearing No 11, which was worn by United legend Ryan Giggs. Adnan Januzaj had that number in the 2015-16 season and he has taken No 15 in the provisional list.
Mkhitaryan gets No 22, while the Ivory Coast international has taken jersey No 3, which was worn by Luke Shaw. The former Southampton man has taken No 23 for the upcoming season.
A statement on United’s official website read, “Manchester United is pleased to announce the Premier League squad numbers for the much-anticipated 2016/17 season, including those to be worn by the club’s three new signings.”
Premier League squad numbers for 2016-17 season*
1: De Gea 3: Bailly 4: Jones 5: Rojo 7: Memphis 8: Mata 9: Ibrahimovic 10: Rooney 11: Martial 12: Smalling 14: Lingard 15: Januzaj 16: Carrick 17: Blind 18: Young 19: Rashford 20: S. Romero 21: Herrera 22: Mkhitaryan 23: Shaw 24: Fosu-Mensah 25: Valencia 27: Fellaini 28: Schneiderlin 31: Schweinsteiger 32: Johnstone 33: McNair 36: Darmian 38: Tuanzebe 43: Borthwick-Jackson 44: A. Pereira 48: Will Keane
*These numbers are provisional
- Ralf Rangnick confirms two Man Utd starters vs West Ham United
- Manchester United vs West Ham United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Barcelona attacker Ousmane Dembele tempted by Man Utd move
- Will Jesse Lingard move to Newcastle or Tottenham this transfer window?
- Man Utd cool down interest in Denis Zakaria
- Man Utd may not approve Ralf Rangnick’s wish to sign Amadou Haidara
- Juventus in direct contact with Man Utd over Anthony Martial loan deal
- Man Utd receive Martial-Dembele swap proposal from Barcelona
- Predicted Man Utd line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Brentford
- Ralf Rangnick provides injury update on three Man Utd stars