Manchester United have reportedly been offered the chance to sign ex-player Memphis Depay from Barcelona this summer.
That’s according to a report from The Athletic who claim that the 28-year-old’s agent initiated contact with United about a potential summer transfer to Old Trafford from the Camp Nou.
United boss Erik ten Hag is clearly very keen to bring a top-class forward to the club before the summer transfer window closes.
And Depay is reportedly someone who has been discussed as a potential option by the United hierarchy. Despite this, The Athletic claim Depay is still expected to join Juventus on a two-year deal.
It seems as though it’s back to the drawing board for Ten Hag. Getting the signing of a top-class striker over the line before the transfer window slams shut will be absolutely vital.
Cristiano Ronaldo faces an uncertain future at Old Trafford whilst Anthony Martial is still out injured. Meanwhile, Marcus Rashford continues to flatter to deceive and the jury is still very much out on him.
Depay would have been a decent option for the Red Devils actually. It seems as though the Dutchman will not be making a return to old Trafford though.
Memphis Depay offered to Manchester United
The 80-capped Holland international’s agents offered their client’s services to United according to The Athletic, but it seems as though he’s set to join Juventus instead.
Depay joined United from PSV Eindhoven in 2015 for around £31 million (BBC). He really struggled at Old Trafford though, bagging just seven goals and six assists in 53 games.
He was moved on to Lyon for £21.7m in January 2017 (BBC). And since he left United, he has really reestablished himself as a top-class forward.
The Dutchman racked up 76 goals and 55 assists in 178 games for the French club before leaving to join Barcelona in the summer of 2021. Depay subsequently bagged 13 goals and two assists in 36 games.
His time with the Catalan giants appears to be done now though. Barca are in real financial woe and need to get rid of the likes of Depay to be able to register their new signings.
The Barcelona forward, who earns around £158k-a-week (Salary Sport), is an enigmatic, precocious talent and can be unplayable.
Depay is incredibly strong as well and would be ideally suited to leading the line on his own for United. The Barcelona ace has been described as a player with ‘unreal skill’ by The Metro.
Sure, he has displayed some attitude problems previously, but who better to get him on the straight and narrow than Erik ten Hag? He could be available on a free transfer this summer according to Fabrizio Romano, with Barca desperate to get his wages off their books.
United signing Depay would have made perfect sense this summer. Unfortunately for Ten Hag though, it appears as if he’s all set to join Juventus instead.
Read also: Manchester United reportedly could try to sign 29-year-old Premier League star.
Stats via Transfermarkt.
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season
- Tottenham Hotspur will resist Harry Kane sale to Man Utd this summer
- Three midfielders Manchester United could sign from the relegated Premier League clubs this summer