Manchester United plan to wait until the final days of the transfer window before submitting an offer for Lazio star Sergej Milinkovic-Savic.
That’s according to a report from Calcio Mercato who claim that Manchester United will offer around £42 million for the 27-year-old with just days remaining of the summer transfer window.
This is a really dangerous strategy in our view and could lead to United missing out on one of Erik ten Hag’s key transfer targets all together. That’s because Lazio are refusing to sell the 34-capped Serbia international for anything less than £58 million according to Calcio Mercato.
Getting the signing of a top-class, powerful central midfielder over the line before transfer deadline day will be one of Ten Hag’s main priorities. It seems as though United could be about to play with fire though…
Manchester United to play dangerous Sergej Milinkovic-Savic waiting game
United are ready to play mind games with Lazio and wait until the last few days of the window before submitting a £42 million bid for the 27-year-old according to a report from Calcio Mercato.
Surely the smarter thing to do would be to submit that offer now and see what Lazio say.
We think that £58 million is slightly excessive, but perhaps Manchester United and Lazio can meet somewhere in the middle.
The 34-capped Serbia international is incredibly powerful and possesses the kind of physique needed to succeed in the Premier League
The Lazio ace is one of the very best midfielders in the world. Milinkovic-Savic is a central midfielder who usually operates slight deeper. He is a sensational player, in fairness. Football Italia recently described the midfielder as an ‘unstoppable’ player. Meanwhile, The Laziali label him as ‘world-class’.
The 27-year-old would be a superb replacement for the recently departed Paul Pogba, that’s for sure.
Milinkovic-Savic bagged a hugely impressive 11 goals and 11 assists in 37 Serie A games last season. He won 2.8 aerial duels per match and averaged 1.8 tackles and 1.1 clearances per match.
During those 37 appearances, the 34-capped Serbia international made an average of 62.2 passes per match and recorded a completion rate of 81.4%.
Milinkovic-Savic is tremendously experienced and would add so much quality to ten Hag’s engine room at United. The midfielder is big and powerful and possesses impressive energy and stamina.
Gazzetta dello Sport reckon that the Serb will demand around £120k-a-week to move to Old Trafford. That seems very reasonable for a player with his quality.
As mentioned earlier though, Manchester United playing a waiting game for Sergej Milinkovic-Savic could be a very dangerous tactic indeed.
Stats via Who Scored.
- Man Utd sale could be completed before end of season
- Real Madrid linked with shock move for Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes
- Man Utd star Raphael Varane leads France in dramatic game against Tunisia at the World Cup
- ‘I think he’s turned it around’ – Paul Scholes names Marcus Rashford as stand out player so far at Manchester United
- ‘It’s quite an easy question’ – Former Manchester United midfielder names Casemiro as his ideal partner
- Gary Neville says Marcus Rashford should be a guaranteed starter for England vs Senegal
- Man Utd handed blow with Benfica set to hand new contract to Goncalo Ramos
- Cristiano Ronaldo closing in on January move to Al Nassr
- Manchester United’s December 2022 Preview: Schedule & Predictions
- Man Utd need to pay €50m up front to sign Cody Gakpo – Fabrizio Romano