Manchester United want to sign David de Gea on a short-term deal and are pleading with the Spanish goalkeeper to return to the club, according to the Sun.
The Red Devils are set to be without Andre Onana when the Africa Cup of Nations kicks off in January and he could miss plenty of games depending on how far Cameroon advance in the competition.
Man United are preparing for life without the former Inter Milan goalie and are now hoping to re-sign De Gea on a free transfer.
The 32-year-old is still a free agent and without a club since he was released by the Red Devils in July after they opted against renewing his deal.
Manager Erik ten Hag wanted a goalie capable of playing out from the back, and he reunited with the former Ajax star.
Man United United also signed Turkey international Altay Bayindir from Fenerbahce in the summer, but Tom Heaton would be the only other goalie at the club during the AFCON and Ten Hag wants a quality option, hence the proposed move for De Gea.
Onana has been under pressure since joining the Red Devils, constantly struggling with the basics of goalkeeping and also failing with his ball-playing skills.
He redeemed himself with a wonderful performance against Copenhagen in the Champions League last night, saving a last-gasp penalty kick, but it has not stopped Man United from making contingency plans ahead of January.
De Gea spent 12 years at the club after joining them from Atletico Madrid and was initially offered reduced terms to remain at the Theatre of Dreams, with his wages being slashed from £375,000 a week to £200,000.
However, that deal was taken off the table in the end and while he was linked with a move to Saudi Arabia, nothing materialised and he has continued to train on his own.
It remains to be seen whether De Gea will be open to returning to Man United given that he will not be guaranteed a starting berth, and it will be intriguing to see how things unfold.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin