Manchester United are planning to negotiate a fresh deal with Nemanja Matic despite the fact that they have recently extended his contract for another 12 months.
The Serbian barely featured for United during the first half of the current season and there were suggestions that he could head through the exit door at the turn of the year.
However, mid-season injuries for Scott McTominay and Paul Pogba meant that the midfielder got a regular run of games in the Premier League and he has since cemented his spot with a number of standout displays.
According to Manchester Evening News, United recently extended the midfielder’s deal beyond the 2019/2020 season after triggering the 12-month clause available.
It is added that the Red Devils are keen to prolong his stay beyond that period and talks are already underway over a new contract.
Matic has managed 12 appearances during the current Premier League campaign and out of those, nine have come after the Boxing Day clash against Newcastle United, where both McTominay and Pogba were sidelined with injuries.
Since the beginning of the year, the Serbian has featured in eight of the club’s nine top-flight matches with his only absence being in the Wolverhampton Wanderers game, where he was suspended.
During this period, he has rightfully earned his position with the impressive positioning in front of the United defence and that has allowed Fred with more freedom to link up with the forwards.
Obviously, Solskjaer is likely to focus on the purchase of young and promising players during the summer but Matic’s experience remains invaluable, particularly if he can maintain the current run of form.
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns
- Fabrizio Romano: Manchester United preparing to sign a new centre-back in 2024
- Man Utd interested in signing Tottenham midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg in January
- Erik ten Hag confirms double boost for Crystal Palace clash but defensive duo injured
- Manchester United announce Antony’s comeback amid physical assault allegations