Manchester United are ready to bid for Cody Gakpo in the upcoming January transfer window.
Cristiano Ronaldo’s bitter exit has forced the Red Devils to venture into the market to sign a centre-forward.
According to The Telegraph, United will bid €50 million to bring Gakpo to Old Trafford next month. Gakpo reportedly wants to work with United manager Erik ten Hag.
United wanted to sign the 23-year-old Dutch international last summer but ended their pursuit as they channelled their funds towards Antony’s transfer.
The PSV Eindhoven forward lit up the World Cup for the Netherlands, scoring three goals before they were knocked out by Argentina in the quarter-finals.
Gakpo has been one of the standout players in Europe this season, scoring 13 goals and bagging 17 assists in all competitions for PSV.
His scintillating performances at the World Cup have further increased his value in the market.
PSV will only allow him to leave for a club record fee. Their highest transfer fee currently stands at €45m which Napoli splashed out for Hirving Lozano in 2019.
United are alive in every competition this season. They need more quality and depth to end their five-year silverware drought.
With Cristiano Ronaldo moving on from United, Anthony Martial is the only recognised striker in the squad.
The Frenchman has been in sublime form but has missed most of the season due to recurring injuries.
Ten Hag has placed his trust in Marcus Rashford to lead the line, but the England international is much more lethal starting from the left.
Gakpo is not a natural number nine but has the physical and technical traits to be a central striker.
His arrival will boost Ten Hag’s attacking options by providing more fluidity and creativity in the final third.
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books