Manchester United’s players questioned the tactics of manager Erik ten Hag for the first time after Sunday’s 3-0 loss to Manchester City, according to the Sun.
The Dutchman laid into them in the dressing room after the derby at Old Trafford, but some of them made their feelings known during the inquest which followed.
The Red Devils stars wondered why Sweden international centre-back Victor Lindelof was played at left-back against Man City while summer loan signing Sergio Reguilon was left on the bench.
Man United are currently without Luke Shaw and Tyrrell Malacia, and Ten Hag signed the Spaniard temporarily as a result.
However, Reguilon did not see action until the 73rd minute when the visitors were already 2-0 up.
The players could also not understand why Bruno Fernandes was deployed on the right wing against such an opposition.
It has been proven severally that the Portugal international is less effective as a winger and prefers the number ten role.
However, the Man United captain remained in the position until the 86th minute when Antony replaced Christian Eriksen.
Sofyan Amrabat played alongside Scott McTominay in the base of the midfield, but he was replaced by Mason Mount at half-time, and the England international was no better.
Marcus Rashford also had a game to forget, and the Old Trafford supporters cheered when he was removed for Anthony Martial with four minutes left on the clock.
Most of the players were left dumbfounded by some of the manager’s tactics, and they did not hesitate to let him know.
The Red Devils have lost five of their opening ten league games in 2023-24 and will need to improve significantly if they want to finish in the top seven this season.
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action