Manchester United are set to make a late-ditch attempt to renew the contract of club graduate Angel Gomes, a report from The Sun claims.
The 19-year-old has been successful at the Under-23 level for the Red Devils but he has not been able to make the same impression with the senior squad.
United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has offered him with less than 300 minutes of first-team action through the season and this has led to doubts whether he would extend his club contract beyond the end of June.
Gomes has already been linked with a possible Bosman move to Barcelona in the summer but The Sun reports that the club are still hopeful of committing the attacker to a new contract on a significant wage package.
United are prepared to triple his current salary of £10,000-a-week and in addition to this, they are willing to send him out on loan next season, suppose he struggles to break into Solskjaer’s side on a consistent basis.
Gomes has been in the matchday squad with more regularity over the past month but he has hardly earned any playing time much to the frustration of some of the supporters.
It has been suggested that the contract situation could be hampering his gametime but Tahith Chong, who is in an identical position, was recently handed a start against Wolves in the FA Cup third round.
When compared to Gomes, Chong appears more likely to head through the exit door at the end of the season. The player’s agent has been in contact with different clubs and he recently held a meeting with Inter Milan.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin