Manchester United’s search for a new goalkeeper has taken another twist as they have cooled their interest in Kevin Trapp and Yann Sommer.
Erik ten Hag wants the club to sign a shot-stopper who can provide competition to David De Gea.
In the last few days, Trapp and Sommer were linked with moves to Old Trafford.
However, James Ducker from The Telegraph has revealed that United are now opting against pursuing a deal for either player.
Frankfurt valued Trapp at €25 million, which is understood to be the major reason behind United’s shift in interest from him.
Manchester United need to sign a robust goalkeeper
De Gea was sensational last season but is looking incredibly uncomfortable delivering Ten Hag’s style of play.
The Dutchman wants his team to build from the back.
This will require the Spaniard to be accurate with his ball distribution, something which he is not known for.
He made a couple of mistakes against Brentford which led to two of the four goals against United.
He looked much more at home when Ten Hag allowed him to go long against Liverpool.
Trapp would have been a quality competitor to De Gea.
The German international played a huge role in Frankfurt’s Europa League glory last season.
However, splashing €25m on a 32-year-old second-choice goalie would have been a step too far.
He has two years left on his contract with Frankfurt, putting them in a strong position.
The Bundesliga club are aware that they would have to pay a substantial fee for any replacement they seek.
Ten Hag will be hoping that the club backs him up with more signings as we enter into the final week of the summer transfer window.
Apart from a goalkeeper, United are also looking for a forward and a right-back.
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action