Manchester United have announced the mutual ending of the contract of Mason Greenwood after the conclusion of an internal investigation.
The Red Devils had been conducting an investigation since February after the English striker had charges of attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour and assault against him dropped by the Crown Prosecution Service.
Greenwood was suspended by Man United in January 2022 following his arrest for the alleged crimes, and he has not played for the club or trained with his teammates at Carrington since.
The Red Devils were attempting to have him back in their squad but have decided against it following a widespread backlash.
Match of the Day presenter and former England international striker Gary Lineker took to X, formerly known as Twitter, to react to the latest development.
The 21-year-old had two years left on his contract, with the option of another 12 months, but he will now look to revive his career elsewhere.
The England international is unlikely to play in the Premier League again, and it is safe to say that his international career with the Three Lions is also over.
While Greenwood was never declared guilty in court, the evidence plastered against him all over social media when the event first happened has done more than enough damage to his reputation.
A move to another club in Europe could also be difficult for the Man United academy graduate to secure, leaving Saudi Pro League clubs as the most likely to register an interest in him.
Greenwood bagged 35 goals and 12 assists in 139 games for the Red Devils and was widely regarded as one of the most promising forwards on the planet during his brief playing career at Old Trafford.
Unfortunately, he will have to look elsewhere to continue his career and also prove he is innocent, but the accusations will continue to trail him for a long time.
- ‘A complete and very intelligent player’: Man Utd target backed to shine in the Premier League
- Hannibal Mejbri could become a regular starter under Erik ten Hag after ‘excellent’ display
- Jonny Evans delivers fantastic performance in 200th appearance for Man Utd
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Burnley, Mejbri starts
- ‘Very happy with him’: Erik ten Hag praises Sergio Reguilon ahead of Burnley clash
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount is an option on the right wing vs Burnley
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Burnley, Varane returns in three changes
- Erik ten Hag on Jadon Sancho’s Man Utd future
- Romero says Man Utd star thought he was God on earth, was like that 24 hours a day
- Erik ten Hag hints four Man Utd stars could return vs Burnley