Manchester United could target a move to sign Blackburn Rovers forward Ben Brereton Diaz in the January transfer window.
That’s according to journalist Dean Jones who claims that United boss Erik ten Hag has sent scouts to watch the 23-year-old in action. The Dutchman needs to bolster his attacking ranks at Old Trafford this winter.
Brereton Diaz will reportedly cost around £10 million in the January transfer window. That’s despite the fact that he’s out of contract in just six months,
The Chilean may well be viewed as an alternative to PSV Eindhoven ace Cody Gakpo. Ten Hag wants to bring the Holland international to Old Trafford for around £43 million (The Telegraph).
However, Brereton Diaz is not in the same league at Gakpo, and Ten Hag really should be setting his sights an awful lot higher than the Blackburn hitman.
Manchester United must aim higher than Brereton Diaz
Ten Hag has to get Man United challenging for major honours again within the next 12 months. To do that he needs to bring two or three world-class players to Old Trafford.
The Blackburn striker does not fit into that category. That doesn’t mean he isn’t a good player, because he certainly is.
Brereton Diaz has really impressed since the start of the 2021/22 campaign and he seems to have reached another level entirely for Blackburn.
The Chile international bagged 22 goals in 37 Championship games last season. Diaz went nine games without scoring after the new year but made up for that with a couple of goals in Blackburn’s final four games of the season.
Brereton Diaz is a hard-working striker and standing at 6ft 1in tall, he’s big and strong as well.
Ex-Blackburn boss Tony Mowbray recently raved about the Chile international, as quoted by Lancs Live:
“Brereton with the ball at his feet is an extraordinary talent. He’s a wonderful footballer who can dribble with both feet, take people out of the game.”
So he is clearly a very good player.
However, Brereton Diaz is not good enough for United.
Ten Hag needs to be setting his sights a lot higher if he is to guide Man United back to the top of the game, both domestically and on the continent.
Stats via Transfermarkt.
- Man Utd need to pay €100m to sign Eintracht Frankfurt striker Randal Kolo Muani
- Where do Manchester United Under 18s stand in the league table after their latest game?
- Loan Watch: Debuts for Bernard and McNeill, Mejbri bags assist
- Man Utd without six players for Leeds clash after triple injury blow
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest