Manchester United could target a move to sign Blackburn Rovers forward Ben Brereton Diaz in the January transfer window.
That’s according to journalist Dean Jones who claims that United boss Erik ten Hag has sent scouts to watch the 23-year-old in action. The Dutchman needs to bolster his attacking ranks at Old Trafford this winter.
Brereton Diaz will reportedly cost around £10 million in the January transfer window. That’s despite the fact that he’s out of contract in just six months,
The Chilean may well be viewed as an alternative to PSV Eindhoven ace Cody Gakpo. Ten Hag wants to bring the Holland international to Old Trafford for around £43 million (The Telegraph).
However, Brereton Diaz is not in the same league at Gakpo, and Ten Hag really should be setting his sights an awful lot higher than the Blackburn hitman.
Manchester United must aim higher than Brereton Diaz
Ten Hag has to get Man United challenging for major honours again within the next 12 months. To do that he needs to bring two or three world-class players to Old Trafford.
The Blackburn striker does not fit into that category. That doesn’t mean he isn’t a good player, because he certainly is.
Brereton Diaz has really impressed since the start of the 2021/22 campaign and he seems to have reached another level entirely for Blackburn.
The Chile international bagged 22 goals in 37 Championship games last season. Diaz went nine games without scoring after the new year but made up for that with a couple of goals in Blackburn’s final four games of the season.
Brereton Diaz is a hard-working striker and standing at 6ft 1in tall, he’s big and strong as well.
Ex-Blackburn boss Tony Mowbray recently raved about the Chile international, as quoted by Lancs Live:
“Brereton with the ball at his feet is an extraordinary talent. He’s a wonderful footballer who can dribble with both feet, take people out of the game.”
So he is clearly a very good player.
However, Brereton Diaz is not good enough for United.
Ten Hag needs to be setting his sights a lot higher if he is to guide Man United back to the top of the game, both domestically and on the continent.
Stats via Transfermarkt.
- Manchester United want Torino right-back Raoul Bellanova to replace Aaron Wan-Bissaka in the summer
- Wayne Rooney says senior Man Utd players need to get Marcus Rashford fired up
- Amad Diallo reacts to Sofyan Amrabat’s performance as Manchester United book spot in FA Cup quarter-finals
- Alan Shearer reacts to Antony’s performance vs Nottingham Forest
- Diogo Dalot impresses for Man Utd in FA Cup win at Nottingham Forest
- Man United player ratings vs Nottingham Forest: Casemiro keeps silverware hopes alive for the Red Devils
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini