Manchester United midfielder Nemanja Matic is set to undergo his medical with Roma tomorrow ahead of a free transfer, reputed journalist Fabrizio Romano reports.
The Serbian confirmed his decision to leave the Red Devils in mid-April, and he will officially depart the club when his contract expires at the end of the month.
A number of clubs have been linked with his services, but it was fancied that he would prefer a reunion with former United manager Jose Mourinho.
Having already worked with the Portuguese at Chelsea and United, the midfielder is now set for a third stint together. He will undergo his medical with Roma tomorrow.
The 33-year-old will then put pen-to-paper on a one-year contract with the Serie A outfit. The Giallorossi will have the option to extend his stay for another campaign.
Matic started off his United career brightly, but his limited mobility soon became a drawback. Paul Pogba, Fred and Scott McTominay were preferred over him in the XI.
The Serbian saw more minutes under interim boss Ralf Rangnick earlier this year, but the decision to move on was probably the best, even if the club wanted to keep him.
The hierarchy were ‘blindsided‘ by his statement in April, but looking from Matic’s point of view, he would have felt that he may struggle for minutes under the next manager.
With Erik ten Hag, the Red Devils are expected to play a high intensity football with regular high pressing. If Matic stayed, he could have been forced through the exit door.
A move to Roma could be ideal for him with Italian football being lesser intense and more tactical. Matic with his strong physical attributes could be an ideal fit for Mourinho’s side.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest