Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s quest to buy Manchester United football club may have hit a stumbling block.
Ratcliffe and his chemicals company INEOS own another football club – French outfit OGC Nice.
The British billionaire has tabled a bid to purchase the English football club from the Glazers.
He is competing against Qatari businessman Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad al-Thani to take over United.
According to ESPN, UEFA prohibits two clubs controlled by the same person or group from competing in the same competition.
If both teams finished in the Champions League qualification spots in their respective leagues, whoever finished higher would take the place in the competition.
Many people believe the Qataris to be the front-runners in the takeover race given the size of their wealth.
However, if Ratcliffe is successful in his pursuit, he will be forced to dilute his stake in the French club.
He could not risk the Red Devils falling out of the coveted Champions League tournament just because Nice finished higher in Ligue 1.
The French club are currently seventh in Ligue 1, but it is impossible to predict how upcoming seasons will unfold.
The European tournament is the elite platform where the best players want to perform. Man United supporters demand Champions League football every season.
A club as big as United should not miss out on the chance to play in the competition. It’s not only a pinnacle for club football but also for the fans who wish for United to earn European glory.
United fans would turn against Ratcliffe in a heartbeat if the team failed to qualify for the Champions League because of his ownership of Nice.
- Man Utd handed big boost as Juventus lower price tag for Dusan Vlahovic
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m