Manchester United have switched their attention to Ligue 1 in their ongoing search for a long-term replacement for David De Gea.
According to French journalist Ignazio Genuardi, the Red Devils are ‘closely monitoring’ Lille goalkeeper Lucas Chevalier.
The 21-year-old has been in excellent form this season and is rated as one of the best up-and-coming goalkeepers in France.
His efforts have put Lille in contention for a top-four finish, and he may well be rewarded with a move to Old Trafford this summer.
Chevalier is an excellent long-term prospect
United have cast their net far and wide to find a suitable replacement for De Gea and may have hit the jackpot with Chevalier.
He excelled at youth level in France before spending last season on loan with Ligue 2 outfit Valenciennes.
Since returning to Lille last summer, he has conceded 29 goals in 30 league appearances and kept ten clean sheets.
Having sold Mike Maignan to AC Milan in 2021, the French club may be reluctant to allow another talented goalie to leave.
Chevalier is reportedly ahead of Leeds United’s Illan Meslier in the pecking order for the French national team, which highlights his future potential.
Maignan’s transfer fee was around $16 million, which undoubtedly represents excellent value given his subsequent performances for Milan.
It may take a similar fee to prise Chevalier away from Lille, but the outlay could pay dividends if he lives up to his potential.
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Kambwala starts
- ‘He’s unstoppable’: Erik ten Hag defends Man Utd winger Antony
- Fresh injury concerns for Ten Hag as Varane, Fernandes & Maguire could miss Forest match
- Man Utd consider Antonio Silva as ideal candidate to strengthen their defence
- Preview: Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United – stats, team news, line-ups
- Man United players requested Sunday off after Fulham loss
- Incoming Man United CEO Omar Berrada already meeting senior executives while on gardening leave
- ‘He’s available’: Erik ten Hag confirms Casemiro is fit to face Nottingham Forest
- Simone Inzaghi on Manchester United radar as enquiries made over Italian manager
- Eric Ramsay leaves Manchester United to become Minnesota head coach