Manchester United have switched their attention to Ligue 1 in their ongoing search for a long-term replacement for David De Gea.
According to French journalist Ignazio Genuardi, the Red Devils are ‘closely monitoring’ Lille goalkeeper Lucas Chevalier.
The 21-year-old has been in excellent form this season and is rated as one of the best up-and-coming goalkeepers in France.
His efforts have put Lille in contention for a top-four finish, and he may well be rewarded with a move to Old Trafford this summer.
Chevalier is an excellent long-term prospect
United have cast their net far and wide to find a suitable replacement for De Gea and may have hit the jackpot with Chevalier.
He excelled at youth level in France before spending last season on loan with Ligue 2 outfit Valenciennes.
Since returning to Lille last summer, he has conceded 29 goals in 30 league appearances and kept ten clean sheets.
Having sold Mike Maignan to AC Milan in 2021, the French club may be reluctant to allow another talented goalie to leave.
Chevalier is reportedly ahead of Leeds United’s Illan Meslier in the pecking order for the French national team, which highlights his future potential.
Maignan’s transfer fee was around $16 million, which undoubtedly represents excellent value given his subsequent performances for Milan.
It may take a similar fee to prise Chevalier away from Lille, but the outlay could pay dividends if he lives up to his potential.
- Kim Min-jae remains Man Utd’s top centre-back target, verbal offer already made
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea ready to snub Saudi Pro League offer for Old Trafford stay
- Man Utd target Benjamin Pavard allowed to leave Bayern immediately, price tag revealed
- AS Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi one step away from joining Manchester United
- Manchester United want €20m for Anthony Elanga as RB Leipzig open talks
- Tottenham and West Ham offered chance to sign Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Sheikh Jassim submits fifth bid for Manchester United
- Man United monitoring Ligue 1 if they fail to land Min-jae with Maguire due to discuss his future with Ten Hag next week
- ‘Very soon’: Man Utd could move forward with bid for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Napoli star Kim Min-jae already home with suitcases ‘ready to go to Man Utd’