Manchester United have had some of the greatest players ever to grace a pitch in its ranks. Yet when not training or playing matches, there is a wide range of ways in which players choose to relax. Some stay at home with their family, others go on holiday, and others may visit the casino.
In the history of the club, there have been a few legends who enjoyed a flutter, either at the casino or on the horses. Below, we give our club legends that loved to gamble.
Few managers have achieved the success that Alex Ferguson has, at any club or at any time in history. Yet when not devoting his time to his team, he has often been partial to a wager.
This has led to some wonderful anecdotes. There are tales of him calling members of his team before games and getting them to gamble on his behalf. Luckily, these days it would be much easier for Fergie to place a bet.
The best online casino sites have everything under one banner, from table games to sports betting and online slots. You can visit here to see the best ones ranked by usability and welcome bonuses. Whether Sir Alex chooses to use these today is unknown, but with his busy lifestyle even after retirement, it seems likely.
Other stories involved how he and other managers such as Harry Redknapp would scour the day’s racecards and make a wager before games. It is horse racing that Ferguson loves the most and he has shares in several horses, although his most famous horse passed away recently.
Wayne Rooney was one of Manchester United’s most promising young players. However, manager Alex Ferguson is reported to have banned younger players from entering casinos, particularly when the team were on tours. Rooney was one of many players who soon made up for it once they passed the gaffer’s self-imposed age limit.
Rooney did not have a particular favourite game. He was known to switch from poker to blackjack and roulette in the same casino sessions. In 2008 Rooney had a huge game of poker, then flew to Minsk, Belarus with the England national team where he went back to the casino for another session.
Cristiano Ronaldo is up there with the greatest footballers of all time, at Man Utd or anywhere else. Alongside this runs his celebrity status, with the public eye often on his love life and off-the-pitch antics. Yet what many people don’t realise is that Cristiano Ronaldo is also a great poker player.
His love for the game started in his twenties when he would play at home with friends. He would often play with Brazilian international Neymar. In 2015 injury sidelined him for a while and he had time to improve upon his game. In the same year, both he and Neymar signed a deal to be the face of a major poker company. In a televised game, he once went up against actor Aaron Paul as the underdog but came away winning.
Another factor that many people don’t know is that Ronaldo gives all his winnings from poker to charity. His exact winnings over the years are unknown, but this is expected to be a lot of money that has gone to good causes.
- Manchester United want Torino right-back Raoul Bellanova to replace Aaron Wan-Bissaka in the summer
- Wayne Rooney says senior Man Utd players need to get Marcus Rashford fired up
- Amad Diallo reacts to Sofyan Amrabat’s performance as Manchester United book spot in FA Cup quarter-finals
- Alan Shearer reacts to Antony’s performance vs Nottingham Forest
- Diogo Dalot impresses for Man Utd in FA Cup win at Nottingham Forest
- Man United player ratings vs Nottingham Forest: Casemiro keeps silverware hopes alive for the Red Devils
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini