Manchester United legend Gary Neville has backed midfielder Paul Pogba for the Premier League Player of the Year despite the Frenchman’s inconsistent performances from the centre of the park.
Pogba’s future has been the main subject of speculation throughout the summer but he appears set to remain with the club with the English transfer window having already closed.
The Frenchman starred during the league opener against Chelsea earlier this month where he contributed a couple of assists in the comfortable 4-0 win at Old Trafford.
However, he could not replicate the performance against Wolverhampton Wanderers on Monday night, where he was guilty of missing a penalty kick in a frustrating 1-1 draw at the Molineux.
Neville was one of the pundits, who was unimpressed with the midfielder’s decision to take the spotkick, but he has still made the bold prediction that the 26-year-old will be one of the standout performers this term.
“I think he could be the player of the year. That sounds like a bold statement. He has the potential to be the best player in this league. He has the biggest personality in this league,” he told Sky Sports as quoted by Metro.
On his day, Pogba is delightful to watch with his impressive movement and the tendency to romp forward to create goalscoring opportunities for his teammates especially on the counter-attack.
Still, there are question marks where he can go through the same process through an extended run of games, which would surely aide the club in the quest of making at least the top four this season.
Manchester United are currently occupying the fourth position on the table after the opening two matches and they are scheduled to face Crystal Palace in Saturday’s league encounter at Old Trafford.
- Man Utd handed big boost as Juventus lower price tag for Dusan Vlahovic
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m