Manchester United are reportedly leading Manchester City in the race to sign Kalidou Koulibaly, who is eyeing a fresh challenge away from the Serie A.
The Senegal international has been regularly linked with a Premier League move over the years but a deal has never materialised with Napoli president Aurelio de Laurentiis being reluctant to sell.
However, it appears that the centre-back could be permitted to leave the Naples outfit after six seasons this summer and La Repubblica (as translated by M.E.N) claims that he could be heading to Manchester.
Both United and City have been credited with an interest but it is reported that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side have the advantage over their cross-town rivals in the player’s pursuit.
Under Jose Mourinho’s reign, the Red Devils failed with an ambitious £95m bid for the centre-back but the club are now likely to be offered the chance to sign the defender for a lesser price of around £72m (€80m).
Koulibaly is widely regarded as one of the best defenders in the current generation and Solskjaer considers him as one of the top three centre-backs in the world, as per Evening Standard.
As such, it won’t be a surprise, if United make the move to sign him in the next transfer window, though it does not appear a necessity with the improved organisation of the club’s defence this year.
Victor Lindelof and Harry Maguire have impressed at the heart of the club’s backline while Eric Bailly has provided quality back-up following his return from a long-term knee injury.
Besides the trio, Luke Shaw has caught the eye while playing in a back three for the club and Solskjaer should rather utilise the transfer funds to bolster the attacking department.
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd