Manchester United have formalised their earlier reported interest in Barcelona defender Marcos Alonso.
According to SPORT, the Red Devils have lodged a loan bid for the Spanish defender as they look to sort out their troubles at left-back.
Erik ten Hag has lost first-choice left-back Luke Shaw to a long-term injury, with the England international set to be out until November at least.
His deputy Tyrell Malacia is also expected to spend a spell in the treatment room as he continues to nurse a knee issue, which has been a recurring problem over the past few months.
With the Red Devils thin on left-back options, Ten Hag called on Diogo Dalot to fill the void in their stunning 3-2 comeback victory over Nottingham Forest at the weekend.
The Portuguese defender produced an eye-catching performance, but Man United are keen to add a specialised left-back to Ten Hag’s squad before the transfer window closes on Friday.
Several players are reportedly on Man United’s radar, including some mind-boggling options, but Alonso has been touted for a shocking return to the Premier League.
The 32-year-old spent six trophy-laden years at Chelsea, winning the Premier League, Champions League, and FA Cup titles before departing to Barca on a free transfer last summer.
Alonso made 37 appearances across all competitions for the Catalan giants in his debut campaign and was deployed as a left-back and, surprisingly, as a centre-half by Xavi Hernandez.
His new-found versatility could come in handy for Ten Hag, who often utilises Shaw as a makeshift centre-back in the absence of Lisandro Martinez.
Alonso failed to make any of Xavi’s squad for the opening two La Liga games of the 2023/24 campaign but lasted until full-time playing as a left-back in the exhilarating 4-3 victory over Villarreal at the weekend.
He will undoubtedly be a risky investment by Man United, considering he lacks the recovery pace to cushion his propensity to join the attack.
However, he poses a danger in the final third and could prove an unlikely attacking weapon for Ten Hag’s side.
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Garnacho starts
- Alejandro Garnacho’s market value skyrockets but Man Utd unlikely to cash in on prodigious forward
- Manchester United midfielder Sofyan Amrabat was hours away from joining Liverpool this summer, set to join Sports Entertainment Group
- Jadon Sancho deactivates Instagram account following exile from Man United facilities
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe restructuring his offer to buy Man Utd
- Phil Jones studying to become a sports director and doing his coaching badges with Manchester United
- Jorge Mendes spoke to Man Utd regarding Joao Felix before Barcelona move
- Alejandro Garnacho has big point to prove vs Crystal Palace tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Garnacho starts
- Man Utd watching Javi Guerra every game, classify him as a top player