Manchester United are interested in signing LDU Quito midfielder Oscar Zambrano before the end of this month, according to Argentine journalist Christian Martin.
Writing in his column for El Futbolero, Martin claims Luton Town have already made an offer for the Ecuador youth international, but the ‘sudden interest’ from the Red Devils is making the Ecuadorian Serie A club and player have a change of heart.
Brighton & Hove Albion are also keen on Zambrano, but joining Man United could be more appealing to the 19-year-old.
The Old Trafford club do not want to repeat the same mistake they made by passing up the opportunity to sign Moises Caicedo as they see Zambrano as the new version of the Chelsea star due to their similar playing styles.
The teenage sensation is also a midfield powerhouse and could become worth the £115 million the Blues spent on his compatriot last summer.
A move to England will not be a problem for Zambrano as he qualifies to obtain a work permit.
Man United could be open to selling Casemiro, and the Quito star has what it takes to be his long-term replacement and dominate the Man United midfield alongside Kobbie Mainoo.
Brighton signed Caicedo for £4.5m in January 2021, beating several clubs to his signature, and the Red Devils have a chance to take revenge and get Zambrano ahead of the Seagulls.
The youngster will come relatively cheap, which should make signing him this month easy.
The Red Devils have already sent Donny van de Beek out on loan to Eintracht Frankfurt and have ended Tottenham Hotspur defender Sergio Reguilon’s loan deal.
Major new signings are not expected, but they could still go ahead and complete a deal for Zambrano given that plenty of money will not be involved.
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow