Manchester United have reportedly been credited with an interest in signing defender Ben White, who is currently on a season-long loan at Leeds United from Brighton & Hove Albion.
The Red Devils have plenty of central defensive options in the squad and last summer’s signing Harry Maguire have formed a solid partnership alongside Victor Lindelof at the heart of the backline.
White is currently on a temporary deal at Championship side Leeds where he has been ever-present in the league and helped the side keep 17 clean sheets in the process.
In this period, the 22-year-old has caught the eye with his good tackling, interception skills and aerial ability but Leeds may not have the chance to re-sign him with the heavy competition from the likes of United and Liverpool.
United currently have Eric Bailly, Phil Jones and Axel Tuanzebe as the back-up for the centre-back spots while Marcos Rojo and Chris Smalling will also rejoin the squad when their loan stints expire during the summer.
However, out of them, Rojo, Smalling and probably Jones could head through the exit door during the summer and that would definitely bring up the requirement for another central defender.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer obviously has the preference to sign young British players but it would still come as surprise, if he decides to pursue White over Dayot Upamecano, who has good top-flight experience in France.
Bailly is currently the immediate back-up option for the central defensive positions but there are still concerns whether he can remain unscathed over an extended period of time.
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns
- Fabrizio Romano: Manchester United preparing to sign a new centre-back in 2024
- Man Utd interested in signing Tottenham midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg in January
- Erik ten Hag confirms double boost for Crystal Palace clash but defensive duo injured
- Manchester United announce Antony’s comeback amid physical assault allegations