Manchester United are looking to sign Borussia Monchengladbach goalkeeper Yann Sommer this summer, according to Andreas Boeni.
United want to bring in a new goalkeeper this summer, particularly to offset the departure of Dean Henderson.
David de Gea has been the first-choice option between the sticks for over a decade now but has rapidly declined in recent years.
Monchengladbach’s Sommer has now been identified as a target to fill that role, with the Swiss having just one year left on his contract.
The Bundesliga outfit want to keep the 33-year-old at the club and have tabled a three-year contract extension offer.
However, Sommer could be open to a new challenge after eight years in Germany and has attracted suitors from abroad.
He turned down a move to OGC Nice earlier this summer but could be open to a better offer.
With the World Cup just months away, the Switzerland international will be wary of joining a team without guaranteed playing time.
Goalkeeper dilemma at United
De Gea has been a faithful servant for United over the past decade, making almost 500 appearances for the club.
He has struggled to adapt with the evolution of the game, particularly when required to play out from the back.
The Spaniard has failed to impress in United’s two games this season, conceding six goals in the process.
Henderson has joined Nottingham Forest on loan and expressed his disappointment at not being made the first-choice goalkeeper.
In a wicked twist of fate, the Englishman produced a goalkeeping masterclass for the newly-promoted outfit just a day after De Gea’s horror showing against Brentford.
United are now on the hunt for a new goalkeeper and fans can only wonder why they did not keep Henderson at the club.
- Erik ten Hag reveals his plans for Anthony Martial after injury comeback
- Three Man Utd stars with a big point to prove against Omonia
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Omonia, Ronaldo and Martial start
- Manchester United’s Five Greatest European Performances
- Man Utd include Iqbal and Garnacho in 22-man squad for Omonia clash
- Four Man Utd stars miss training ahead of Omonia Nicosia clash
- Man Utd should sign Goncalo Ramos as Cristiano Ronaldo’s replacement in January
- Europa League Preview: Omonia Nicosia vs Manchester United
- Saudi PIF were offered 30% stake in Man Utd before Newcastle takeover – The Athletic
- Omonia Nicosia vs Manchester United: Europa League preview, team news & predicted starting XI