Manchester United are reportedly growing confident of landing the services of Saul Niguez from Atletico Madrid when the transfer window reopens at the end of the campaign.
The Red Devils have been tipped to strengthen the squad during the next transfer window and the focus appears on signing a central midfielder and a right-sided winger.
The likes of Jack Grealish and James Maddison have been linked with the Red Devils this season but The Star claims that the club are willing to break the bank to sign Niguez.
The Spain international currently has a hefty £135m buy-out clause on his long-term contract but United seem prepared to meet the valuation in order to lure him to Old Trafford.
However, any deal could be dependent on the sale of midfielder Paul Pogba with executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward wanting at least £100m from the Frenchman’s suitors.
At the age of 25, Saul has already shown that he is comfortable playing across the midfield positions and has also featured in the left-back role under manager Diego Simeone.
As such, he definitely meets Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s liking for a versatile player with a long career ahead but any move rests upon the assurance that Pogba will leave the club at the suitable price.
Borussia Dortmund’s Jadon Sancho has also been fancied to make the switch to Old Trafford for £120m and the hierarchy are unlikely to sanction deals for both players without raising part of the funds through player sales.
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd