Manchester United are locked in talks with Borussia Dortmund over a potential loan deal for Jadon Sancho, Florian Plettenberg reports.
The German outfit are eager to strike an agreement that would see Sancho return to Signal Iduna Park on a temporary six-month deal.
The England international has been exiled from United’s first team since a public fallout with manager Erik ten Hag in September.
After failing to apologise to the Dutch tactician, the fractured relationship between the pair has become irreparable, and something has to give this January.
Ten Hag banished Sancho from using the first team facilities to protect the squad harmony, and the future of the Englishman has been in limbo ever since.
The Sancho-Ten Hag saga is poised to reach its climax this January, with several clubs lining up to take the ex-Manchester City man away from Old Trafford.
Dortmund have established themselves as the frontrunners in the race to secure Sancho’s signature, but the finances involved in the deal will determine the feasibility of the transfer.
Sancho is one of the major earners at United, so the Red Devils would be more than happy to throw him to the curb to salvage their dwindling financial situation.
However, in addition to Sancho’s eye-watering wages, United will require a substantial transfer fee to sanction a mid-season exit for the 23-year-old.
Dortmund cannot boast such financial backing and would rather take their former superstar on a temporary deal, but it remains to be seen if United would be open to the idea.
They may have to cover a significant portion of Sancho’s wages, or the player himself may have to agree to a substantial pay cut to facilitate a Dortmund reunion.
Barcelona and Juventus are the other clubs rumoured to be interested in taking Sancho off United’s hands, but the pair are struggling with financial difficulties of their own.
Saudi Arabia has long been touted as a possible destination, but Sancho has shown a reluctance toward a Middle East move despite the potential for a mega-money payday.
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow