Manchester United are in advanced talks to sign Kevin Mbabu from Fulham in the January transfer window.
That’s according to TuttoMercatoWeb who claim that Man United boss Erik ten Hag is in pole position to bring the 27-year-old to Old Trafford, ahead of Italian club Monza.
The Dutchman is keen to bring a top-class right-back to Man United to provide more solid competition and cover for Diogo Dalot.
And it seems the United manager has settled on one man in particular.
Manchester United closing in on Kevin Mbabu
TMW claim that Mbabu’s potential transfer to United from Fulham is in the ‘advanced negotiation’ stage.
The 22-capped Switzerland moved to the Premier League last summer when he joined Fulham from Wolfsburg. However, he has only made six league appearances for the Cottagers, with five of them coming off the bench.
This is undoubtedly a strange signing. Mbabu hasn’t played regularly for Fulham, so is he good enough for United? That is debatable.
However, the Swiss right-back does have the attributes needed to succeed in England. He’s 6ft tall, with a stocky build and is strong as an ox.
The Fulham man possesses impressive pace and is an attacking full-back in every sense – something that Ten Hag is desperate for.
There is no mention of what the fee will be. If it’s a reasonable price though, Mbabu may end up being a decent signing for United.
The fans may well have to trust Ten Hag with this one. And who knows, the Swiss defender might find a new level if he moves to Old Trafford.
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest
- Could Kobbie Mainoo make his league debut for Manchester United in the absence of star midfielders?
- Man Utd’s transfer priority is clear after fresh Anthony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd handed early Europa League boost with two key Barcelona stars injured
- Erik ten Hag has easy midfield decision vs Leeds United with four players out
- Nottingham Forest eager to sign Dean Henderson permanently next summer