Manchester United are on track to reach an agreement with defender Diogo Dalot to extend his contract at Old Trafford.
Dalot’s current deal was due to end this June. However, the club triggered the 12-month extension clause in December 2022 to extend his stay by one year.
Journalist Fabrizio Romano has revealed: “Manchester United are advancing in talks to extend Diogo Dalot’s contract.
“United plan remains to keep Dalot and get a new long-term deal done. There’s confidence to reach an agreement soon.”
Diogo Dalot deserves a new Manchester United contract
Dalot joined United from Porto in 2018 but has only become a regular starter since Erik ten Hag was appointed manager.
He spent the 2020/21 season on loan with AC Milan, which helped him to improve massively.
He was in tremendous form before the Qatar World Cup and looked miles ahead of Aaron Wan-Bissaka for the right-back spot.
The 23-year-old has started 23 Premier League games this term – the most he has made in a single English top-flight campaign.
Wan-Bissaka’s recent upturn in form forced Dalot to vacate the right-back position, but Ten Hag utilised him in an orthodox left-back role when Luke Shaw filled in for injured Lisandro Martinez.
Dalot has produced some impressive displays, including bagging his first-ever Premier League goal.
Ten Hag is a big admirer of the Portuguese defender, who likes to attack and is comfortable with the ball at his feet.
He is a passionate defender and celebrates every crucial tackle or block like scoring a goal. His positive energy is pivotal to his teammates and the fans.
The £35 million-rated star is yet to enter his prime years, and tying him to a new long-term contract is a no-brainer.
- Kim Min-jae remains Man Utd’s top centre-back target, verbal offer already made
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea ready to snub Saudi Pro League offer for Old Trafford stay
- Man Utd target Benjamin Pavard allowed to leave Bayern immediately, price tag revealed
- AS Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi one step away from joining Manchester United
- Manchester United want €20m for Anthony Elanga as RB Leipzig open talks
- Tottenham and West Ham offered chance to sign Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Sheikh Jassim submits fifth bid for Manchester United
- Man United monitoring Ligue 1 if they fail to land Min-jae with Maguire due to discuss his future with Ten Hag next week
- ‘Very soon’: Man Utd could move forward with bid for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Napoli star Kim Min-jae already home with suitcases ‘ready to go to Man Utd’