Manchester United are ready with a shortlist of potential right-backs they may pursue if Aaron Wan-Bissaka leaves this summer.
Journalist Jonathan Shrager reports that if necessary, United will look to replace Wan-Bissaka with Josip Juranovic, Max Aarons or Kyle Walker-Peters.
Erik ten Hag prefers to have a full-back who makes overlapping runs and has pin-point crossing ability.
Even though Wan-Bissaka is among the finest tacklers in the league, he does not really contribute in the attacking third.
He is now out of favour under the new manager and may head for the exit door.
Diogo Dalot appears to be Ten Hag’s first choice on the right side of the back four.
Ethan Laird is on his way to Queens Park Rangers after agreeing on a season-long loan deal, as reported by Mike McGrath of the Telegraph.
With Juranovic, Aarons and Walker-Peters as potential targets, the Dutchman wants to give the Portuguese defender some competition.
Hunt for a right-back might stretch till transfer deadline day
The squad at Erik ten Hag’s disposal is not a great one. Many positions need reinforcing and the right-back spot is one of them.
However, the priority for the club is to sign a midfielder and a striker. They are in advanced negotiations with Adrien Rabiot and still searching for a forward in the market.
They may look to speed up their pursuit for a right-back once these two positions are covered.
Josip Juranovic had an amazing season with Celtic, helping the club to do a league and cup double.
He is a great crosser of the ball, which would add another dimension to Ten Hag’s attack.
Walker-Peters and Aarons are also on the list. Both of them are known for their attacking exploits but are weak when it comes to defending their flank.
One other right-back is heavily linked to a move to Old Trafford. Sport claims that the Red Devils are negotiating with Barcelona over the possible transfer of Sergino Dest.
The defender is an extremely talented player and offers versatility to play on either flank.
He was handed his professional debut by Erik ten Hag at the age of 18.
The former Ajax gaffer has shown concrete interest in the players he has worked with before in this transfer window.
It wouldn’t be surprising if Dest moves to the Theatre of Dreams.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Kim Min-jae remains Man Utd’s top centre-back target, verbal offer already made
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea ready to snub Saudi Pro League offer for Old Trafford stay
- Man Utd target Benjamin Pavard allowed to leave Bayern immediately, price tag revealed
- AS Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi one step away from joining Manchester United
- Manchester United want €20m for Anthony Elanga as RB Leipzig open talks
- Tottenham and West Ham offered chance to sign Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Sheikh Jassim submits fifth bid for Manchester United
- Man United monitoring Ligue 1 if they fail to land Min-jae with Maguire due to discuss his future with Ten Hag next week
- ‘Very soon’: Man Utd could move forward with bid for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Napoli star Kim Min-jae already home with suitcases ‘ready to go to Man Utd’