Manchester United view Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong as their primary summer transfer target.
According to The Guardian, the Red Devils have revived their interest in signing Frenkie de Jong after failing in their pursuit last summer.
The Premier League giants chased his signature throughout the summer transfer window but the 25-year-old was keen to stay at the Spanish club.
He has played a key role under Xavi, featuring over 30 times this season and helping Barcelona to sit at the top of the La Liga table.
Erik ten Hag remains a firm admirer of De Jong and wants him at Old Trafford to strengthen the squad.
Erik ten Hag’s Manchester United are too good to turn down
De Jong opted not to take the risk of moving to Old Trafford last year with things still in transition.
With a new manager at United and no Champions League football, De Jong decided to continue with Barcelona.
However, Ten Hag has changed the club’s outlook in the last ten months.
The Red Devils have won the Carabao Cup, their first silverware in six years.
They are a strong contender for the Europa League and the FA Cup. Champions League football looks guaranteed, courtesy of their strong position in the Premier League.
Everyone is optimistic about Ten Hag bringing glory days back to the Theatre of Dreams, and De Jong would like to be part of it.
The Dutch midfielder had the first-row tickets to witnessing United’s resurgence when the Red Devils kicked the Spanish giants out of the Europa League.
He may agree to the Old Trafford move if Ten Hag comes calling again.
- Erik ten Hag has given go-ahead to sign Goncalo Ramos from Benfica
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag ‘concerned’ about Newcastle time-wasting
- Man Utd ‘first on the list’ for Ansu Fati, Jorge Mendes working on summer deal
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups