Manchester United hope to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana before they begin their United States tour next week.
The Times report that United have increased their offer to £47 million including bonuses, which is close to Inter’s asking price.
Both clubs are interested in finding an agreement soon as they do not want this deal to upset their plans for the rest of the transfer window.
United are desperate to involve the Cameroonian in their pre-season tour of the US.
Inter will use the funds from this deal to weigh up an offer to lure Romelu Lukaku from Chelsea.
Man Utd set for a major change between the sticks
David de Gea has guarded United’s goal for over a decade, but that won’t be the case anymore.
The 32-year-old is no longer with United, and the club have identified Onana as his replacement.
The £47m offer is expected to break Inter’s resistance.
The Nerazzurri performed well last season, with Onana playing a pivotal role.
He kept 19 clean sheets in 41 appearances and helped Inter reach the Champions League final against Manchester City.
The 27-year-old has a good relationship with Erik ten Hag, having worked under him at Ajax.
Onana can operate as a sweeper-keeper and is exceptional with his feet. His outstanding ball-playing ability is the primary reason United are chasing his signature.
Ten Hag will be delighted if the star shot-stopper can switch before the squad travel to the US.
United players will need time to work with a goalkeeper who often comes out of his box and functions as another defender.
The Red Devils may not be done here as they are eager to sign a new centre-forward.
Rasmus Hojlund is on their radar, but Atalanta are adamant about their sky-high £86m price tag.
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling