Manchester United have been told to pay at least €35 million (£30m) if they want to sign Atletico Madrid forward Alvaro Morata this summer.
That’s according to AS (print edition August 14th, page 10) who claim the 29-year-old is on United’s radar.
Erik ten Hag desperately needs to bring a top-class centre-forward to Old Trafford before the summer transfer window closes.
Cristiano Ronaldo faces an uncertain future at the club whilst the jury is still very much out on Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial regarding whether they are actually good enough to lead the line for United.
And it seems as though there is one option in particular for the Red Devils who certainly wouldn’t break the bank.
Manchester United told fee needed for Alvaro Morata
Spanish publication AS have claimed that United can sign the ex-Chelsea striker for just £30m this summer. He may not be Ten Hag’s first choice, but he wouldn’t be a terrible option, that’s for sure.
The 56-capped Spain international has bagged 180 goals in 494 career games. He is a proven goalscorer at the very highest level and always plays off the shoulder of the last defender.
A word of warning though – Morata really struggled during his spell in England with Chelsea. The striker bagged just 24 goals in 72 games for the Blues before being swiftly moved on to Atleti.
The Spaniard just didn’t have the physicality required for the robust, physical and intense nature of the English game. As mentioned earlier, Morata shouldn’t be the number one target for United manager Ten Hag.
If the Dutchman can’t get deals for his priority targets over the line, bringing the Atletico hitman to Old Trafford on a short-term deal wouldn’t be the worst idea in the world.
Stats via Transfermarkt.
- Three goals in last four meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return