Manchester United have been handed a huge boost to their hopes of signing Barcelona ace Frenkie de Jong in the summer transfer window.
Erik ten Hag is very keen indeed to bring his countryman to Manchester United this summer, with Barcelona demanding around £71.47 million for the midfielder (The Metro).
The 25-year-old Barca ace would be an exceptional addition to Ten Hag’s ranks at Old Trafford. With Paul Pogba having left United on a free transfer, signing a top-class central midfielder will be one of Ten Hag’s main priorities between now and the start of the season.
It seems as though Manchester United could well have a great chance to do just that.
Originally, it seemed as though Ten Hag had no chance of bringing De Jong to United. The midfielder apparently didn’t want to move to Manchester and was unimpressed by the club’s lack of direction (Daily Mail).
There is some good news to counter that apparent blow though…
Manchester United handed Frenkie de Jong boost
According to a report from Spanish publication AS, Barcelona manager Xavi has met with De Jong and asked him to take a 50% pay cut on his current £490k-a-week salary at the Camp Nou.
And if he wants to be part of the Barca project under Xavi, he reportedly must agree to those terms. That’s an awful lot of money to be passing up on. And we believe that the latest update from AS will give Manchester United huge hope in the race to sign the Holland international this summer.
De Jong would be a stunning addition for Erik Ten Hag this summer. He bagged three goals and three assists in 32 La Liga games for Barca last season. During those appearances, the Dutchman made 51.2 passes on average per game and recorded a mightily impressive completion rate of 91.3%.
De Jong is highly energetic, is very cool and composed when in possession and is a brilliant passer of the ball. He has the quality needed to dictate the tempo of the game and would add so much to Ten Hag’s squad.
Manchester United fans may have thought that they wouldn’t be signing Frenkie de Jong this summer. The latest update from AS may well change all of that though. And we think that Ten Hag absolutely must go all out for the Barcelona ace now.
Stats via Who Scored.
- Man Utd very interested in signing Brighton prodigy Moises Caicedo
- Joel Glazer firmly against the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo
- Manchester United offered the chance to sign Antoine Griezmann
- Man Utd weigh up stunning deal for Casemiro
- Man Utd still considering move for Moussa Dembele
- talkSPORT and Fabrizio Romano claim Manchester United are closing in on £42m deal for Matheus Cunha
- Hakim Ziyech remains a priority for Man Utd boss Erik ten Hag
- Erik ten Hag makes direct request to Manchester United board to sign ‘scintillating’ Ajax attacker Antony
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Man Utd to accelerate Wan-Bissaka’s exit to sign Sergino Dest