Manchester United have been handed a huge boost to their hopes of signing Barcelona ace Frenkie de Jong in the summer transfer window.
Erik ten Hag is very keen indeed to bring his countryman to Manchester United this summer, with Barcelona demanding around £71.47 million for the midfielder (The Metro).
The 25-year-old Barca ace would be an exceptional addition to Ten Hag’s ranks at Old Trafford. With Paul Pogba having left United on a free transfer, signing a top-class central midfielder will be one of Ten Hag’s main priorities between now and the start of the season.
It seems as though Manchester United could well have a great chance to do just that.
Originally, it seemed as though Ten Hag had no chance of bringing De Jong to United. The midfielder apparently didn’t want to move to Manchester and was unimpressed by the club’s lack of direction (Daily Mail).
There is some good news to counter that apparent blow though…
Manchester United handed Frenkie de Jong boost
According to a report from Spanish publication AS, Barcelona manager Xavi has met with De Jong and asked him to take a 50% pay cut on his current £490k-a-week salary at the Camp Nou.
And if he wants to be part of the Barca project under Xavi, he reportedly must agree to those terms. That’s an awful lot of money to be passing up on. And we believe that the latest update from AS will give Manchester United huge hope in the race to sign the Holland international this summer.
De Jong would be a stunning addition for Erik Ten Hag this summer. He bagged three goals and three assists in 32 La Liga games for Barca last season. During those appearances, the Dutchman made 51.2 passes on average per game and recorded a mightily impressive completion rate of 91.3%.
De Jong is highly energetic, is very cool and composed when in possession and is a brilliant passer of the ball. He has the quality needed to dictate the tempo of the game and would add so much to Ten Hag’s squad.
Manchester United fans may have thought that they wouldn’t be signing Frenkie de Jong this summer. The latest update from AS may well change all of that though. And we think that Ten Hag absolutely must go all out for the Barcelona ace now.
Stats via Who Scored.
- Erik ten Hag gives advice to Garnacho and Pellistri on Manchester United opportunities
- PSV Eindhoven interested in signing Man Utd forward Anthony Elanga
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Reading, Garnacho and Pellistri start
- “I’m not Harry Potter” – Erik ten Hag outlines real reasons for Marcus Rashford’s resurgence
- Anthony Elanga and Facundo Pellistri to stay at Manchester United
- Denzel Dumfries’ agent pushing Man Utd to finalise summer transfer
- How Man Utd could sign Everton wonderkid this summer
- Man Utd can sign RB Leipzig star Dani Olmo for €70m this summer
- Manchester United vs Reading: FA Cup preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Erik ten Hag confirms fresh Man Utd concern ahead of Reading clash