Manchester United have been mentioned as one of the teams, who could be in the running to sign Declan Rice from West Ham United during the summer transfer window.
The Red Devils have been linked with the England international on several occasions in the past and it appears that the Hammers are prepared to sanction his sale at the end of the season.
According to The Sun, the east London outfit have been hampered financially by the coronavirus pandemic and they may have to consider player sales before spending on new recruits during the summer.
It is added that Rice, who has been on the radar of elite Premier League sides including United, could potentially head through the exit door, if any club meets the £70m price tag.
United are understood to be eyeing a new defensive midfielder ahead of next season but there does not seem any necessity to strengthen the department.
Nemanja Matic, Fred and Scott McTominay have featured in the holding midfield position in the current campaign and each of them have had their shining moments.
Of course, Matic appears the only natural player for the position when compared to Fred or McTominay, who are more forward-minded, but they could make use of James Garner from the development side.
Rice has caught the eye of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer with his versatility of playing in the holding midfield or central defensive role but the board could be better served using the funds to bolster the attack.
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns
- Fabrizio Romano: Manchester United preparing to sign a new centre-back in 2024
- Man Utd interested in signing Tottenham midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg in January
- Erik ten Hag confirms double boost for Crystal Palace clash but defensive duo injured
- Manchester United announce Antony’s comeback amid physical assault allegations