Manchester United are set to miss out on Benjamin Sesko as RB Leipzig close in on the 19-year-old forward.
The Red Devils identified the RB Salzburg striker as their prime target, as they look to bolster their front-line.
Cristiano Ronaldo and Anthony Martial are the only strikers in the squad. Ronaldo’s future at Old Trafford is still in doubt as he is looking to leave the club in a bid to play in the Champions League.
This would leave Martial as the only recognised striker in Erik ten Hag’s debut Premier League campaign.
According to Fabrizio Romano, Leipzig will close a deal this week to sign Sesko next summer.
The young forward will stay at Salzburg for another year, before moving to Germany.
Another transfer window failure on cards for Manchester United
The Red Devils have been abysmal in the last few years when it comes to bringing the right talent to Old Trafford.
Their repeated failures in the transfer market are one of the reasons why they are so behind their arch-rivals Manchester City and Liverpool.
After getting a tactically shrewd manager on board, the club has failed to back him up.
Ten Hag has been tasked with rebuilding the club and making them competitive again.
Sesko would have perfectly fit that ambition as he is very young. The Slovenian stands at 6ft 4in tall and is tremendously strong in the air.
He is technically sound and very clinical in front of the goal, bagging 43 goals and 15 assists in 95 games.
However, his proposed move to the German club might force Man United to strengthen their pursuit of Bologna striker Marko Arnautovic.
The 33-year-old striker has been strongly linked with a switch to Old Trafford in the last few days.
His arrival would prove that the Premier League giants did not have any clear plan in place before stepping into this transfer window.
- ‘He did magnificent’: Erik ten Hag praises Rasmus Hojlund’s impact in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag must start Aaron Wan-Bissaka to stop Man United’s old nemesis Wilfried Zaha
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Galatasaray, Hojlund returns
- ‘If they are good enough, they are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Manchester United’s route to finishing in the top four
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause