Erik ten Hag confirmed Harry Maguire will continue as Manchester United captain during his press conference ahead of the club’s pre-season clash against Liverpool.
The 29-year-old joined the Red Devils in the summer of 2019 in a world-record £80 million deal from Leicester City. He was handed the captain’s armband in a few months of his arrival.
However, the centre-back has been facing severe criticism recently following his poor display last season.
But manager Erik ten Hag has offered his backing to Maguire, announcing he will continue as skipper.
The Dutch boss said: “Harry Maguire is the captain. I have to get to know all the players, but he’s an established captain and he has achieved a lot of success.”
Former Man Utd player and Sky Sports analyst Gary Neville supported the 52-year-old’s decision on Twitter but that didn’t go down well with fans on social media who criticised him for his viewpoint.
Neville wrote a strong retort on Twitter, telling fans to stop bullying the defender.
Right decision by Erik ten Hag
Maguire had a poor 2021-22 season and deserved some criticism for how United finished in the Premier League table.
However, he wasn’t the only player who underperformed as several big names also failed to impress last campaign. But the others didn’t receive the same level of criticism as him.
Ten Hag has made the right decision by keeping Maguire as captain when the only obvious alternative outfield player (Cristiano Ronaldo) is looking to force a move out of the club.
The 52-year-old has shown faith in Maguire and that will likely boost his confidence.
The England international is a top-class defender who is known for his passing, ball interception and dominance in the air.
He is not the fastest player on the pitch but he is good at reading the game and that makes it difficult for others to get past him.
We hope that ten Hag restores his confidence and we could once again see the former Maguire who is one of the best defenders in the English league.
- Manchester United plan to enter the transfer race for Moises Caicedo
- Impressive stats come to the fore following massive performance from Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes for Portugal
- Real Madrid join Man Utd in race to sign Argentine star Enzo Fernandez
- Facundo Pellistri shines for Uruguay in 2-0 World Cup defeat to Portugal
- FA Cup third round draw: Man Utd to host Everton at Old Trafford
- Casemiro scores wonder goal as Manchester United duo help Brazil move into last 16 at the World Cup
- Man Utd plan to recall Ethan Laird if Aaron Wan-Bissaka leaves in January
- Man Utd target Sergej Milinkovic-Savic impresses for Serbia in World Cup thriller vs Cameroon
- Man Utd should sign Vincent Aboubakar from Al-Nassr on loan in January
- Manchester United midfielder Fred opens up on taking inspiration from legendary World Cup-winning Brazil squad