Portuguese defender Diogo Dalot has been linked with a surprise move to Tottenham Hotspur, having struggled to command regular playing time at Manchester United this season.
The 21-year-old made the move to the Red Devils from Porto during the summer of 2018 and former boss Jose Mourinho hailed him as the best European full-back in his age group.
Since then, he has not been able to secure a regular starting role due to injuries and competition for places, and at present, he is regarded as the immediate back-up to Aaron Wan-Bissaka at right-back.
According to Dominic Booth of Manchester Evening News, Dalot could consider a shock move to Tottenham Hotspur during the next transfer window where he could be reunited with Mourinho.
The same publication cites the playing time as the main concern for the player, having managed only 66 minutes of top-flight action during the course of the current season.
Dalot is capable of playing in either of the full-back positions. He can also slot into the right side of the attack which was visible on occasions during the second half of the previous campaign.
Taking this into regard, he remains a valuable player for the Red Devils but his prospects of starting in the league seem unlikely, barring one of the regulars getting injured.
In the past, Dalot had been fancied as a probable candidate to pressurise Shaw for the left-back role but that no longer remains the case with Brandon Williams’ impressive breakthrough from the development side.
It remains to be seen whether United are willing to permit Dalot’s departure during the summer. The club have an exciting young right-back in Ethan Laird, who could get promoted to the senior setup ahead of next season.
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns
- Fabrizio Romano: Manchester United preparing to sign a new centre-back in 2024
- Man Utd interested in signing Tottenham midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg in January
- Erik ten Hag confirms double boost for Crystal Palace clash but defensive duo injured
- Manchester United announce Antony’s comeback amid physical assault allegations