Manchester United forward Anthony Martial has been training away from the first-team squad as he continues his recovery from an illness and looks to improve his fitness, according to the Daily Mail.
The Frenchman last played for the Red Devils on December 9 and manager Erik ten Hag has told him he will not be selected for action until he regains sufficient fitness.
The Dutchman believes individual training is a must for players lacking match fitness, and Martial is currently not deemed to be fit enough to train with the others due to the intensity and high work rate needed in group training.
Individual training for players returning from short or long-term injury or sickness is standard practice at Man United, with Lisandro Martinez and Casemiro recently pictured training away from others before finally returning to action.
However, the length of time it has taken Martial to regain fitness has raised eyebrows.
Ten Hag is eager to have the £250,000-per-week forward available for selection as soon as possible given the lack of quality depth in the Red Devils’ attack.
The issue is not a disciplinary matter and the 28-year-old is not currently suffering from injury, but he has simply struggled to regain sufficient fitness following last month’s illness.
He started seven out of the 19 appearances he has made so far this term, weighing in with two goals and an assist, and he will be keen to prove himself to prospective suitors in the coming months.
Man United return to action next Sunday against Newport County in the fourth round of the FA Cup, and it will be interesting to see whether the Frenchman would have become fit enough to earn a place in the matchday squad.
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow