Manchester United are finalising a proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa, reports Correio da Manha.
Red Devils manager Erik ten Hag wants another goalie and has been keeping tabs on the 23-year-old for some time.
Porto need to make sales as soon as possible and have admitted they could be forced to sell Costa.
Man United are now looking to wrap things up and talks are expected between both clubs.
The Portugal international could cost them €45 million, according to his stated value on the popular website Transfermarkt.
Costa is Porto’s most valuable asset and Man United will need to offer an excellent deal to have a chance of landing him.
The Switzerland-born goalie may also need to be given assurances of a starting berth before he agrees to a move.
David de Gea kept the most clean sheets in the Premier League this term but remains error-prone.
He could have done better to keep out Manchester City’s winner in the final of the FA Cup.
The Spaniard also struggles with playing out from the back, which affects Ten Hag’s playing pattern.
The Man United boss recently refused to guarantee that De Gea would continue as his first choice.
He will be keen to bring someone capable of pipping the former Atletico Madrid star to the starting berth.
Costa kept 19 clean sheets in 41 games across all competitions and has what it takes to be a starter for the Red Devils.
De Gea is ready to snub a lucrative offer from the Saudi Pro League and has agreed to take a pay cut to remain with the Red Devils and extend his deal.
However, the deal is awaiting approval from the board and Ten Hag, and signing another goalie could change things.
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd