Manchester United are losing hope of signing Harry Kane from Tottenham Hotspur this summer.
Erik ten Hag wants the club to sign an elite striker, and Kane is at the top of his list.
According to the Times, United are increasingly resigned to the prospect of being unable to land their principal transfer target.
Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is determined to keep Kane in London.
If he is forced to cash in on the England international, he would prefer to sell him abroad rather than to a direct Premier League rival.
Bayern Munich and Real Madrid are interested in Kane as they look to sign a new number nine this transfer summer.
Man Utd cannot depend on Harry Kane
Levy is a tough negotiator and seems unwilling to do business with the Red Devils.
Allowing Kane to move to Old Trafford could cost Tottenham a top-four spot in the English top flight.
United are desperate to solve their goal-scoring problems ahead of the new season.
Cristiano Ronaldo’s bitter exit pushed them to sign Wout Weghorst on loan last January.
United have relied on short-term solutions for the number nine spot in recent times. However, that should not be the case any longer.
They cannot sign another Radamel Falcao or Odion Ighalo and expect Ten Hag to deliver.
Kane is their primary target, but they must also consider other alternatives.
Napoli’s Victor Osimhen, Benfica’s Goncalo Ramos and Atalanta’s Rasmus Hojlund have been linked with a move to Old Trafford.
The Red Devils must sign a top striker early in the window so Ten Hag has sufficient time to work with him in pre-season.
Getting Kane will be an ideal solution for United, but they cannot allow Levy to dictate their summer window.
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions
- Gareth Southgate to hold talks with Kobbie Mainoo as he is desperate to see him pledge his international future to England